Sunday, January 12, 2014

My Beautiful Boy

What a fantastic day we had today! It was a relief, as the days since he had his shots have been just like the "old days."  I was convinced the vaccines had caused him to completely regress, until I read the extreme fussiness was totally normal.  It was certainly a good reminder of how far we've come.  Blake's been progressively getting better thanks to everything we've tried...but the slow progression caused me to slightly lose sight of just how bad things were.  God showed me over this week!

I wasn't sure what to do for him being so uncomfortable and fussy after his shots.  Here are some things we did thanks to online reading and suggestions from friends.
-very light massage at the injection sight. The doc said this was good to do so that we could feel if any lumps began to form.  If there were lumps he said to take him back.
-baby Tylenol AFTER the shots. (Supposedly giving Tylenol before the shots can reduce the potency of the meds going in.)
-Warm compresses.  I just took 2 baby washcloths and placed them in the microwave for 30 seconds.

None of this made him feel a whole lot better, but it helped temporarily.  He slept a lot more than he usually does, which is normal.

He was back to his normal self today, and is steadily getting better with everything.  Though he's still sleeping more than he ever did before the shots.  He slept about 8 hours today, and still went to bed at 8, AND is sleeping through the night. Not sure what to think of this.  Maybe it will slowly taper off?  Not that I'm complaining about sleeping through the night.  That part is amazing!

We've been to the chiropractor twice so far to help with his GERD.  I really think it's helping! The doctor performs a gentle adjustment, which is more like a baby massage in certain places.  Blake loved it!  The first time he giggled the whole way through. The second time he smiled the whole time.  We're going back tomorrow for his 3rd adjustment.  He's not been as gassy, hasn't thrown up in the middle of the night, and I've also noticed he's not eating as much. The doctor told me that babies with GERD have a tendency to eat more because food going down soothes their throat and stomach.  (Think of it as the only time they get any real relief.  Sad, isn't it?) So, where he was beginning to eat 6 oz every 2 to 2.5 hours, he's gone back to 4 oz.  I guess the doctor was right when he told me that Blake was only eating that much because of the GERD and he shouldn't be eating so much on a regular basis.

I've seen more improvement between the probiotic and the chiropractor adjustments than I have with the Zantac, even with the increase of 3 doses a day.  I'm still trying to decide if I'll take him to the gastroenterologist, should the doctor suggest it.  It may be worth going to get a closer look at what's going on in his stomach.  It's a decision I'll make at a later time.

He's really starting to enjoy his jungle play mat!  He just laughs and giggles.  He's learned if he hits the animals on it then noises come out, so he lays for for the longest time and kicks and hits with his hands. It's so cute! He was on it for an hour today entertaining himself, while I was at the computer working.   I'm sure that has come with age, but I know he wouldn't be enjoying it like that if we hadn't, somewhat, gotten his GERD under control.  Any time I would lay him on it before he would just start screaming immediately, because laying that flat was so uncomfortable for him.



I'm not sure what else is out there that we can try.   I'll keep on keeping on until he's 100% comfortable and happy.  Though, I'm so proud of my beautiful boy and his progress!
Speaking of, that reminded me of one of my favorite musician's song "Beautiful Boy", by John Lennon.  Love, love, love!

"Before you go to sleep
say a little prayer

Every day in every way
It's getting better and better"

Couldn't have said it better myself, John. :)

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear he is doing better! AND it's getting easier for you. Of course its never easy but there are def days that are harder then others. Your doing great! I am new at this myself and its so nice to have friends and family give you advice to help. I find that simple facebook post goes a long way HAHA Alexis sleeps through the night from 6:00/6:30 until anywhere from 3:30am- 6:00am. She is so inconsistent. I try to put her to bed later but it doesn't matter. That girl is still up early. As tiring as it is I LOVE going in her room and seeing her in her crib waking up and just smiling at me. Gets me everytime. I am such a cry baby sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete